After Deadly Snake Bite, Australian Man Grabs A Beer

What do you do when you've been bitten

by one of the deadliest snakes in the

world? Crack open a beer, of course.

That's what Rod Sommerville, 54, of

Australia, had in mind after he was

nipped by a eastern brown snake in his

backyard last month.

After the bite, the Queensland man said

he went inside and called emergency

services, according to local reports. He

then apparently grabbed a beer from the

fridge and sat down to enjoy the brew

while he waited for the ambulance to arrive.

Sommerville reasoned that panicking

would have made it worse.

"I said to myself, 'if I'm going to [die],

I'm going to have a beer,'" he told the

Rockhampton Morning Bulletin.

Native to Australia, eastern brown snakes

are highly venomous and can deliver

around 4 milligrams of venom in a single

bite. Though the species is responsible for

the most deaths due to snakebites in the

country, the poison can usually be

countered with an anti-venom.

Sommerville's case was no different. The

beer-drinking man was picked up by

emergency services and treated with an

anti-venom at a local hospital. Although

he had an adverse reaction to the

medication, Sommerville survived the incident.


Kofi Oppong Kyekyeku

I am a Ghanaian Broadcast Journalist/Writer who has an interest in General News, Sports, Entertainment, Health, Lifestyle and many more.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button