Man beaten to death by co-workers

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

Two employees of a borehole drilling company who allegedly

participated in the lynching of a co-worker have been arrested by the

Kwabenya District Police Command in Accra.

The suspects, Emmanuel Sodja, 47, a driver mechanic, and Anthony

Akpenyo, 31, a telecommunications engineer, as well as two others who

are on the run, are said to have accused Bright Kofi Amofa, now

deceased, of stealing Ghc5,000 belonging to one of them.

The four suspects are alleged to have subjected Amofa, aged 24, to

severe beatings for stealing the money.

The names of those on the run have not been disclosed.

Briefing the Daily Graphic, the Kwabenya District Police Commander,

Superintendent of Police Ms Victoria Yamoah, said the five worked with

Meridian Water Drilling Company based at Kwabenya.

She said on July 29, 2014, the suspects and Amofa travelled to

Labolabo in the Eastern Region to drill boreholes.

While in the village, it was discovered that Ghc5,000 belonging to

Sodja had gone missing.

Since Amofa had left the site at that time, it was concluded that he

had stolen the money and taken off.

However, Ms Yamoah said after days of searching for Amofa in vain, the

four returned to Accra.

On August 1, 2014, she said, some residents of Labolabo, who knew

about the missing money arrested Amofa when he was spotted in the

community and handed him over to the police.

Subsequently, Sodja was informed about Amofa's arrest and so he went

to Labolabo.

At the police station, Amofa refunded Ghc4,800 out of the Ghc5,000.

As a result, Sodja withdrew the case, and the two agreed to settle

matters amicably.

At 7:30 p.m. the same day, Amofa and Sodja arrived in Accra and while

they were in the yard of the company, the four suspects claimed Amofa

had wanted to run away and, therefore, subjected him to beatings.

In the course of the beatings, Amofa fell unconscious and was taken to

the 37 Military Hospital in Accra for medical attention.

He was later pronounced dead at the Emergency Unit of the hospital.

Amofa's wife, who had been informed about the withdrawal of the case

and the arrival of her husband in Accra, went to the company's yard in

search of her husband, but he was not there.

After several calls to his phone had shown that it was switched off,

she inquired from some residents of the area, who claimed they had

heard her husband shouting for help when he was being beaten by some

of his co-workers.

They told her that the husband had been taken to the 37 Military

Hospital in an unconscious state.

She reported the incident to the Kwabenya Police, who later heard that

Amofa had died at the hospital.

On August 4, 2014, the two were arrested.

Graphic Online

Kofi Oppong Kyekyeku

I am a Ghanaian Broadcast Journalist/Writer who has an interest in General News, Sports, Entertainment, Health, Lifestyle and many more.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button