Acid attack: Afoko’s brother charged with murder; remanded

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

An Accra Magistrate Court has remanded the junior brother of New

Patriotic Party Chairman Paul Afoko to Police custody.

Gregory Afoko is standing trial for the murder of Upper East Region

chairman of the party, Adams Mahama.

Mr Mahama died last week Thursday after he was attacked with acid the

night before.

He has been buried according to Islamic traditions.

Two suspects, including Gregory Afoko, brother of the party chairman

has been fingered for the attack. He has since been arrested and

hauled before a magistrate's court in Accra.

Joy News' Kwakye Afreh Nuamah who was in court said there was heated

arguments between the two opposing counsel over a bail application

brought by defence attorneys.

The state prosecutor Superintendent Francis Baah whilereading the

charges mentioned the suspect as being the brother ofthe NPP chair,

Paul Afoko, a comment the defence counsel, Stephen Ampah Korsah was

not happy about.The defence counsel quickly interjected drawing the

court's attention that it was unnecessary to link the NPP chair to

the case because he had nothing to do with it.

The prosecution then appealed to the Magistrate, Worlanyo Kotoku to

keep the suspect on remand until they have concluded with the

investigation, a request Mr Korsah rose against.

He said the prosecution had no basis to appeal for remand since ithas

no evidence to substantiate the charges of murder leveled against his


But the prosecution said it has prima facie evidence but needed time

to conclude its full investigations.

Superintendent Baah reminded the counsel on the opposing side that

murder offences are non-bailable and the suspect had to be kept in

police custody.

The Magistrate, Worlanyo Kotoku ruled in favour of the prosecution and

admitted the suspect to policecustody to reappear on July 9, 2015.

Joy News' Afreh reported the suspect looked completely disoriented

throughout the trial and looked even more disappointed over the

ruling.With his dreadlocked hair, the suspect tried to hide his face

from the intrusive camera lenses of journalists when he was being

taken in and out of court.

Family members were present to sympathise with the suspect, Afreh reported.

The second suspect, yet to be named, is said to have fled the Upper

East with his wife and has left his baby behind.

Credit: Myjoyonline.com

Kofi Oppong Kyekyeku

I am a Ghanaian Broadcast Journalist/Writer who has an interest in General News, Sports, Entertainment, Health, Lifestyle and many more.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button