Britain's minister for Africa, Mark Simmonds,
said Nigeria's leader, Goodluck Jonathan,
revealed his decision during talks between the
pair in Abuja.
"He made it very clear that there would be no
negotiations with Boko Haram that involved a
swap of abducted schoolgirls for prisoners,"
Mr Simmonds said.
Boko Haram is holding more than 250 girls
hostage after kidnapping them from a school
in Nigeria. UK and US teams are in the country
helping the authorities there in their efforts to
find the youngsters.
The news emerged as Sky sources revealed
a British-born Boko Haram suspect, named
as Aminu Sadiq Ogwuche, had been arrested in
Sky's Special Correspondent Alex Crawford
said: "The Nigerian authorities are saying he
could be a fairly significant person.
"He is a British-born Nigerian who served in
the Nigerian army from 2001-2006 before he
is said to have deserted. He worked in the
Nigerian army intelligence wing at that time.
"He was wanted by Nigerian authorities for
some time. They put out an international
arrest warrant for him a couple of days ago.
"They wanted to question him about two
bombings in Nigeria, including one on April 14
– the same night as the kidnapping of the
schoolgirls in the north.
"The bombing in the market was seen as a
diversion, taking the authorities' attention
away from the north while the kidnappings
were going on."